Pages

  • About
  • The Edit
  • The Review
  • The Video
  • Contact/PR

Interview Makeup

Over the past few weeks I've been heading to a series of interviews, and my look hasn't really changed from meeting to meeting.  It's an extremely basic, pared-down look, since I'm headed towards something a little more corporate/conservative.  My goal was to achieve a natural look, but with a little bit of effort -- this is one of those times that I think it's okay to look like you've put on a lip colour and that you've bothered to pluck your eye brows.  On the flipside, I don't want to look like I spend a lot of time on my look or have my makeup be the focus of the interview.  Can you imagine if all they remembered was how perfectly winged my liner was?

My look had to be clean, not too perfect, natural and easily touch up-able (that's officially a word on this blog).  My partners in crime...


Eyes:  I don't suggest anything too shimmery; it can look really harsh under fluorescent lighting.  Not to mention it can look semi-trashy if it's a cheap shimmer.  I also think this is the time to exercise a one-colour rule -- don't go for a look that requires four different colours, it'll just stress you out.  I did a simple wash of colour over the lid, but people with a crease would get the same kind of definition by placing the colour in their socket line.  Give your brows a quick brush, and fill them in just enough to look complete and natural.  As for eyeliner, I went for brown, even though my hair is so dark.  It looks much softer, almost like it's not there, and my mascara was dark enough to make me look like I still had lashes.

Clockwise, from bottom left:  Pupa Baked Eyeshadow in Warm, Urban Decay Buck, Korres Bronze Brown, Clinique High Impact in Black, Prestige Waterproof Automatic Eyeliner in Sepia, MAC Brow Pencil in Lingering


Face + Cheeks: I wanted to look healthy, happy and young -- as though corporate life hasn't already dragged me down.  The way to do that is to skip the ultra-contour and go for a soft pink cheek -- if you must contour, use something deeper and more muted (like Exposed) and use a light hand.  For your base, I suggest something light but high coverage.  You could use a foundation, or just use tinted moisturizer and conceal like all hell.  I did a little of both, and used the Bioderma Pore Refiner to help smooth out my pores.

Clockwise from top left: Lancome Teint Idole Freshwear in 3N, Bioderma Pore Refiner, Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette, FusionBeauty Haute, Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed

Lips:  Since my eyes and cheeks were so soft, I went a little deeper on the lip.  I don't like a finish that's too shiny, so I either used a matte lip stain or a lip balm/gloss and blotted down the shine.

L-R
Tarte LipSurgence Matte in Envy, Korres Lip Butter in Plum, Korres Liquid Lipstick in Raspberry

L-R
Tarte Envy, Korres Plum, Korres Raspberry, FusionBeauty Haute, Tarte Exposed,
Pupa Warm, Urban Decay Buck, Korres Bronze Brown, Prestige Sepia, MAC Lingering
Extras:

  • Keep a hand lotion with you -- it makes for a better handshake experience.  Mine also came in handy when I realized how dry my legs were, and for any stray baby hairs.
  • If you wear perfume, wear something that you associate with a good experience, but try to keep it within the realm of "appropriate".  I wouldn't wear anything overly sweet/powdery/gourmand -- I'd go for something very classic, like a soliflore.  I switched between Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose and Miss Dior Cherie.


Any interview advice you'd like to share?  Leave it in the comments!

2 comments :

  1. I love your lip colour choices.. I keeo forgetting about my Korres Liquid lipstick.. Did a post on it a while ago and I used to use it all the time.. I love it so much! Feels so great on the lips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I go back to the same ones again and again! The liquid lipsticks do feel amazing, and they're so easy to work with too

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric