Pages

  • About
  • The Edit
  • The Review
  • The Video
  • Contact/PR

Review: TheBalm Nude 'Tude


 I really don't need another nude palette (bear in mind need =/= want), so when I received this palette as a Christmas gift from my brother, I was thrilled.  Can't say no to a gift, after all!  This is TheBalm's offering of a neutrals-only palette, cropping around the same time as all this Urban Decay Naked hoopla.  I've had a few experiences with TheBalm -- so far, all good.  They currently make my favourite blush (Hot Mama) and bronzer (Sexy Mama), so I had high hopes for this palette.

This palette costs $38 CAD -- way cheaper than what UD Naked costs here, but the cost per oz is actually fairly similar.  If you were to purchase UD Naked in the States, the cost per oz is a little better than with Nude 'Tude.  The texture of these shadows is comparable to that of Urban Decay, they apply smoothly with minimal fallout.  Some of the matte shades swatch a little chalky, but on the eye they blend beautifully without getting murky.  Do you need both (or all three, if you also have Naked 2)? Likely not.  They're not similar palettes, but I can safely say that one will work better for you than the other.  And if it doesn't, there aren't so many different looks you can create between them that you need both.

What I will say is that if you have one eye look and you occasionally like to change up the colours and achieve a different effect that way, Naked is where it's at.  If you like to change up your eye shape with different eye shadow techniques, Nude 'Tude is better for that -- since it provides highlight, lid, crease and liner colours in a variety of shades, it's a much more versatile palette.


Sassy, Stubborn, Snobby, Stand-offish
 Sassy is a white shimmer -- it's too pale for me to use as a highlight.  Stubborn is a lightened baby pink with silver shimmer.  Snobby is a pale gold, like a shimmery version of UD Foxy.  Standoffish is a slightly warmer version of Snobby.

Selfish,, Sophisticated, Sultry, Schitzo
Selfish is a midtone taupe shot through with silver shimmer.  Sophisticated is a cool, dark brown with a fine multi-coloured glitter running through it.  Sultry is a matte, warm, medium brown -- picture UD Buck without the grey undertone.  Schitzo is a khaki brown shimmer.
Sexy, Serious, Silly, Sleek
Sexy is a matte, dark burgundy -- almost plum.  Serious is a matte black, not as black as UD Blackout.  Silly is a silver-shimmered dark brown -- Sophisticated's cool twin.  Sleek is a brown-black which is way more pigmented than Serious.

TheBalm is available at Rexall, and is regularly available on Hautelook for a discounted price.

What are your other neutral palette favourites?  Anything else I should try from TheBalm?

21 comments :

  1. Would this sort of be a UD dupe then? Oh darn I was in Ontario yesterday and drove by two Rexalls. Darn I wish I would have stopped now. Oh well perhaps its a good thing. The colors look very nice. Is this a regular item at Rexall or limited edition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of, it's a neutrals palette and I don't think you'd need both, especially if you like the colours of this one better. It's a regular item at Rexall! Where are you from?

      Delete
    2. Oh that's cool! I think they do have them in some Jean Coutu -- based off Temptalia's comments section, there's a TheBalm stand in the Jean Coutu by Acadie Subway.

      Delete
  2. Thats a nice range of shades for us neutral lovers, I've not tried much from that brand I have to say but do like the look of that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I try, the more I love. It's definitely worth a look!

      Delete
  3. This palette looks so nice! The Selfish color looks especially beautiful. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What *shouldn't* you try from theBalm? ;) I haven't been disappointed by any eyeshadow palette or a blush. I also appreciate Mary Lou-Manizer. Their concealer is supposed to be top notch and their foundation is appreciated by anyone who likes cream :) I recently completed my theBalm blush collection and should be posting on it next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I have to look into that! Unfortunately the concealer I got from them is too dark, I'll look into a lighter one! Can't wait to check out your blush collection (because I totally need more blush....ahem).

      Delete
  5. I have this palette too! This post reminded me to use it again. It's a nice set of neutrals indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet brother! This palette has excellent quality. I just don't need another neutral palette. I've been good lately :D

    BTW, following you now and may I say Dior Amber Diamond rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...most of the time! I don't need one either, but I still find myself lusting after them. Good for you for resisting!

      I love Dior Amber Diamond! Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  7. i have this palette and i was impressed by it! i have both naked palettes too, lol. i used to be an eyeshadow fiend haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite how many eyeshadows I have, I almost never wear them on a day-to-day basis. I'm resolving to actually put some of these things to regular use!

      Delete
  8. This does look like a great palette! I've never really paid much attention to the Naked palettes for some reason, but I do like the look of this. Sexy and Silly both look like fab shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is way more flattering across all ages/skin tones. Sexy and Silly have been my go-to colours for the outer corner!

      Delete
  9. the lighter shades won't show on medium skin tones i fear.Anyways nice review.Great swatches as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The second-lightest shades are usually the ones that don't show on me, whereas the lightest shades are so pale that they can make me look ashy. I don't find that that's the case with this palette though, so definitely try to swatch it!

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric